Monday, January 24, 2011

The Prodigal Daughter Returns

This picture really has nothing to do with anything. I just took it at Myrtle Beach one summer and 'picniked' it with some lyrics of one of my favorite songs, "Paperweight". The link to watch "Paperweight" on Youtube -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb0kb7NSwKo 
My ear has stopped the oceanic waves of pain! Shout hooray and hallelujah.  And the weird, uncontrollable urge to touch my shoulder has left with it :) (for some reason I couldn't stop massaging my left shoulder, the same side as my piercing, for practically two and a half hours post-piercing)
As I was driving home from school today, I heard on the radio that Oprah was spilling some big, juicy family secret all over the media waves at precisely 4:00 pm.  I usually don't watch The Big O, but that got my attention.  Turns out she has a little half-sister, whom she didn't even know about, as her mother got pregnant without telling anyone.  Her mother gave the baby up for adoption and Patricia, Oprah's new founded half-sister, lived in foster care all of her life.  Patricia started to inquire and ask questions about who her birth mother was when she found out the shocking truth that she shared the same mother as Oprah Winfrey, Certified Television Goddess and Future President of the USO (United States of Oprah).  Can we say, "cardiac arrest"?  However, once Oprah had Patricia on the show, and the prying eyes of America tuned into this hot mess of family business, it came clear to me that the Winfrey family was just not too comfortable letting this person into their lives.  They kept thinking of Patricia as a reincarnated version of Oprah's deceased sister, Patricia (same name, different person...a fluke accident) which made me really sad.  This woman was her own person!  This woman had reached out to find her family, had not gone to the press to capitalize on her relations, and just wanted to complete the hole she felt had grown in her heart.  This woman came on to the Oprah show, had faced the mother that denied her existence, and sat through a Winfrey family Thanksgiving only to be told, "We're still processing.  Uhm....but you look a heck of a lot like our other sister, Pat."  Excuse me, but something tells me Patricia had some processing to do of her own as well.
I really am not one to judge, but this was just an observation I had while watching the awkward episode unfold.  I hope the family finds peace through this strange transitioning time and, most importantly, they catch up on the time lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment