Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hitting the Trails

Trail Mix Review
Pumpkin Seed Dried Cherry Trail Mix

I've recently tried out a new trail mix recipe that I found on foodnetwork.com.  I thought it sounded yummy and perfect for fall...I mean, the main ingredient is pumpkin seeds.  But when I tried the recipe for myself, I was less than smitten with the resulting product, BUT I think it's because I added WAY too much salt! If you like what you see try it out for yourself :)

What you'll need:
  1. 2 cups of baby pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  2. 1 cup slivered almonds
  3. 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  4. 6 tablespoons pure Grade B maple syrup
  5. Coarse salt
  6. 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries (I used cherry Craisens...best of both worlds)
What you'll do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
  2. In a large bowl mix together the pumpkin seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds, and maple syrup
  3. Spread one half of the mix evenly on one baking sheet and the second half on the other
  4. Season with salt to taste (This is where I screwed up)
  5. Put the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
  6. Cool the mixture completely on the pans, then add the Craisens and toss
  7. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature



It does have a pretty presentation :)

1 comment:

  1. i remember making this when i was younger! it's soooo good!

    ReplyDelete